My TBR Pile is Growing Steadily . . .

The adage is a writer reads more than he or she writes, yes? I have no idea where I read this, or where I heard this . . . I just remember learning it somewhere and this lesson sticking with me for some reason. Just like the “I before E except after C” rule lesson stuck with me until I saw word like Science . . . Yeah. That made sense. Along with this:


Anyway, back to my TBR (to be read pile) . . . it’s getting huge. I have some of it in print (I love the smell of a new book – don’t judge me) and some of it on my Kindle (I’m so addicted to that gadget – don’t judge me)! Here are some of the titles I’ve yet to read: (none of these are affiliate links, by the way)

  1. Fracture (print): The Flicker Effect, by Melanie Hooyenga
  2. If I Stay (print), by Galye Forman
  3. The Fault in Our Stars (Kindle), by John Green
  4. Suppressed (Kindle), by Kira Saito (currently 28% through this one)
  5. Witch: A New Beginning (Kindle), by L.S. Gagnon
  6. The Moonlight Palace (Kindle), by Liz Rosenburg
  7. Hallow City (print), by Ranson Riggs
  8. Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook (print), by Donald Maas

This is my “immediate” list . . . this doesn’t include things I have loaded on my Kindle that I want to eventually get to . . . I’ve taken some pictures of what I have loaded here:









As you can see, I love how to books, indie books, and books that help me improve my craft. I also like keeping books that I’ve already read on there because, after a period of time, I will go back and re-read them as I tend to do with print books. I love that I can keep a library of books on my Kindle right at my fingertips, but I doubt I’ll ever give up the real-true feel of a printed paper book. There’s something about paper books that I’ll never be able to replace with an electronic gadget.

The point of this post is that, once I’m finished reading through each of these titles, I’ll be writing about them. Some I’ll be posting about here on this site, and the rest will be as reviews on Amazon.

What is YOUR to be read (TBR) pile like? Is it on your Kindle, a pile of books, or a mix of the two like mine?

Event: Boothbay Region Art Foundation September 5th

This coming Friday, September 5th, from 5:00pm to 7:00pm, there is a reception during the First Friday Art Tour in Boothbay Harbor at Boothbay Region Art Foundation. I have this piece featured in that show:



This show runs until October 13th and, if this mixed-media painting does not sell, I’ll place it into my shop (artistwriter) along with the rest of my unsold art pieces. You can learn more information about the gallery, driving directions, and future shows on this link: Boothbay Region Art Foundation.

Hope to see you there!


Coming Soon to!


During this coming week, I’ll be updating my story with the unsold art I’ve featured in shows throughout the summer months! You can see these updates on the following link:

Jenn Greenleaf: ArtistWriter’s Shop

In addition to these listings, I’ll also have new mixed-media journals, blank journals, handmade envelopes, and mixed-media artists packs available. I’m also working on a new book featuring all of the art projects I work on with campers throughout the summer. Stay tuned!


Summer Camp is Over!

I can’t believe summer camp is over!

My time as the Arts & Crafts Director at Boothbay Region YMCA Camp Knickerbocker has come to a close for this summer as yesterday was our last day of summer camp. We finished off the day by playing in the bounce house and enjoying ice cream sandwiches! Those who have accounts and “like” the Boothbay Region YMCA Camp Knickerbocker page can see pics HERE.

As part of the final week of camp, I closed down the Arts & Crafts building and did a final clean out. The building is ready for next year and I took home all the samples I created throughout the summer (that were not “kit” art projects from a box). They are pictured here:

I was able to pack everything up in a "gift box" art project we created during week four.

I was able to pack everything up in a “gift box” art project we created during week four.


This is what it all looks like spread out on my table.

This is what it all looks like spread out on my table.


I’ve been encouraged to write a book about all of the arts and crafts projects I created with the campers throughout the summer. There are quite a few that aren’t pictured here (like the sun crayons, dream catchers, toilet paper roll flowers, yarn vases, etc.), and a lot of the “kit” projects could easily be adapted into projects that could be completed with materials from around the house or from the craft store. So, I’m giving this idea some serious thought.

Now that I’m finished with this job, I’m about to embark upon my others – substitute teaching for the Boothbay Region school system, freelance writing like I have since 1999, and resident art teaching for L/A Arts. I’m looking forward to the transition! School starts September 2nd, so I’m not sure sure when I’ll be called in for subbing or for L/A Arts, so I’ll jump right into freelance writing. I’m also still active with art shows for those of you who are wondering. :D

Boothbay Region Art Foundation: August Show


I’m sorry I’m late with this posting, but I wanted to remind everyone that I currently have one piece on exhibit in the Boothbay Region Art Foundation’s August Member Show. Here are the particulars for this showing:

Members’ Show, July 30 – August 25

  • Open Mon-Sat 10-6, Sun 11-5
  • First Friday Art Tour, Open House and Reception, August 1.

You can find more events I’m am participating in throughout the rest of the year on the following page: Jenn’s Events. This page is updated frequently so be sure to check often!

Thank you for your interest and continued support!